In the Playful Early Learner’s workshop program, I discuss with parents the best authors for children birth to age 5. Nancy Tafuri remains among the finest for the ages birth to 2. With her large, watercolor pictures, Tafuri creates images just for little ones. Whether the story has a cuddly bunny, a silly goose, or a plump squirrel, each creature is drawn with care for the hearts of children.
Tafuri has written and illustrated more than 45 books for children. She received the Caldecott Honor for Have You Seen My Ducking? Her words are simple and precise, perfect for heartwarming tales.
All Kinds of Kisses, Tafuri’s latest work, is a story of farm animals loving their babies with all kinds of kisses. Cheep kisses, mooo kisses, maaa kisses, and oink kisses. Tafuri’s illustrations of animals and their messages of love are extraordinary. This book is soon to be another classic bedtime story.
Playful Early Learning
- Look at the cover. Name the animal mothers and their little ones.
- Open to the title page. Look for animal families around the farm.
- As you read aloud, be sure to point out the details of every picture.
- Name the animal mom, her baby, and make the sound of each animal kiss.
- On the last page, give your sweet one of the best kisses of all. ”Mommy’s kiss good night. Sweet Dreams, Little One!”