Forever Friends by Carin Berger is a tender, simple story of friendship between a small bluebird and a brown bunny. Bird and bunny play together through spring, summer, and fall. When cold air arrives, bluebird flies south. The long winter months are lonely for bird and bunny. But their reunion in springtime is pure joy when bluebird soars into the green meadow to play with bunny.
The gentle beauty of the pictures is captivating. Berger creates paper-cut collages using old book pages, magazines, receipts, letters, graph paper and ticket stubs. Little ones will delight in finding the print within the pictures.
Playful Early Learning:
- Make up a tune for “Hello! Come Play!” Sing, rather than read, bird’s tune
- Finger trace the dotted lines of bird’s flights
- Name the colors Berger uses for the seasons. (Green for spring, blue for summer, brown for fall, and dark purple for winter)
- Notice how the trees change with the season
- Find words and letters on the collage paper pieces
- Name the games bird and bunny play (hide and seek, tag, chase, swing, catch, juggle)
“Learning to make friends takes years of practice … teach your children how to socialize effectively – how to make friends, how to keep friends. The greatest predictor of happiness is having friends.” —John Medina